GlobalWarmingisReal contributor Anders Hellum-Alexander wraps-up the climate and environmental news headlines for the past week:
- With electric cars coming to the market manufacturers will need to figure out how to recycle the expensive batteries that accompany them. GM and Nissan are making their plans.Technology Review reports.
- Environmentalism is about how we extract and use resources, and getting clean water to poor populations is a must. At Stanford University they are developing a cheap way to filter bacteria out of contaminated water.
- The environmental organization 350.org tried to get the solar panels put back on that where installed in the 70's by the Carter administration. They found a panel from Carter's original installation and brought it to the White House and were surprised to find that the White House was unwelcoming. It just goes to show how conservative the US government is, whether it is run by Democrats or Republicans. Bill McKibben provides the report.
- A study by the UN has found that the ozone layer is no longer being ripped apart and may be returning to its original health. This is all because of our efforts and international agreements. We can solve environmental problems, we just need the political will.
- Some in the restaurant industry are making efforts to Green their operations. Here is a list from treehugger.com of 10 new environmentally conscous restaurants.
- Popular Science has teamed up with Shell to present us with environmental news. I will use this source, but remember; anything paid for by one of the worst polluters in the world is untrustworthy:
Popular Science presents us with 6 foes of environmentalism that keep out of the spotlight.
- The US Environmental Protection Agency is stalling on decided the fate of a West Virginian mountaintop. Will it be removed to get the coal beneath, and how far will we go to get dirty energy?