GlobalWarmingisReal contributor Anders Hellum-Alexander wraps-up and comments on the climate and environmental news headlines for the past week:
- The US Military has set a target of using 25 percent renewable energy by 2025. This is great for the renewable energy industry, many everyday products are brought to the American public by way of large scale military use.
- Obama has yet to made bold moves on climate change in his second term; the environmental community is getting impatient and are trying to make themselves heard in the political arena.350.org is a great way to learn about what is going on or to get involved.
- Will your grandchildren play with frogs? Probably not, amphibians are really sensitive to pollution, habitat loss and climate change and they are on their way out right now.
- The price of natural gas is volatile and unstable at such a low price. Renewable energy is more stable because there is an upfront installation cost and then the fuel is usually free. We need a more stable energy market because it makes for a stronger economy.
- The Koch brothers are constantly scheming; the latest scheme is to buy newspapers, the Baltimore Sun and the LA Times. If you own the media it is hard for the media to criticize you, just look the story of the PBS documentary titled "Citizen Koch." Even if the Koch brothers can stop truthful documentaries from coming out just by donating money, with a looming threat of pulling that money at any time, but the Koch brothers can not stop people protesting in the street in front of their homes.
- The more we use dirty energy, the more it requires transportation, the higher risk of accident and environmental damage. An oil spill makes for a bad day, a sun spill is just a pleasant day.
- Oil companies profit to the detriment of everyone else. They pollute without charge, spill oil without an adequate response prepared, they don't pay taxes and they are using up a finite resource very quickly. Its time for a new business model and a new product.