Enviro News Wrap: Solar Energy Zones; NatGas-bridge fuel or Clean Energy Blockade; Disney Adopts Sustainable Paper, and more...
GlobalWarmingisReal contributor Anders Hellum-Alexander wraps-up and comments on the climate and environmental news headlines for the past week:
- Obama and Romney have very different approaches to energy and our environment. Obama is a pragmatist and realizes that we have to use all energy sources, especially in the immediate future, Romney literally said he does not care about our environment and would ignore it while in office. One of the examples of Obama's leadership on renewable energy is how he opened up, through the Department of the Interior, 285,000 acres of public land comprised of 17 "renewable energy zones" for renewable energy projects.
- Natural gas is extolled as the "Bridge to the Future." The future is clean and renewable energy. So what if the investment in natural gas is crowding out investment in that Clean and Renewable future? Oil and Coal companies don't talk about how their product is running out and how the future will inevitably be coal and oil free. Natural gas is a blockade not a bridge fuel, it is just another dirty energy source.
- Some climate scientists link specific drastic weather events to climate change. With the crazy weather the world has witnessed all over the globe people think that the link is true.
- Democrats are "progressive," until the coal interest in their State reigns them in. This is also part of the reason why we do not have a national policy on greenhouse has emissions.
- The Koch brothers are buying influence in the state of Washington. The brothers want state environmental laws repealed, leaving weaker federal standards.
- Apparently the Koch brothers were lured over to the dark side of politics by a man named Rich Fink. His name means Wealth and Being Disgraced. Mr. Fink convinced the brothers in 2009 that they were the only things standing in the way of Obama ruining America with regulation. They have taken their cause far and wide, turning their company into an anti-Obama machine.
- Disney was targeted by Rainforest Action Network (RAN) in 2011 for using paper from threatened forests. Now Disney is shaking hands with RAN on a new agreement to shift their paper supply.
- People in Nigeria are suing Chevron for ruining their lives. Shell operations in Nigeria have been dirty both Environmentally and Politically.
- You can't guarantee that an oil pipeline wont leak or break. So let's reduce the number of massive pipelines and not approve any more, like the Keystone XL pipeline for the Canadian Tar Sands.
- Solar in Germany is very straightforward in cost, in the US there are extra layers of costs. In the US only half of the cost of getting solar on your home goes to hardware, profits, and labor.
- Solyndra is trying to sue Chinese solar panel manufacturer Suntech for unfair competition resulting in the bankruptcy of their business. It's getting real in the global solar panel manufacturing industry and this was kind of predictable. Why is it such a big deal that China under-priced us on goods, don't they do that with most of our products? Why is it such a big deal now?